It’s that time of year again, time to loosen your belt buckle and sit down for the annual ThanksGavin!
The libations begin with this bubbly.
And the real deal, Grand Cru Burgundy. Parker 95, “This saturated and dark colored wine, with its extraordinarily spicy nose of sweet red and black fruits, sent me soaring. This massive, intense, broad-shouldered, masculine, structured, and chewy wine is crammed with super-ripe, rich, and layered blackberries, cassis, licorice, earth, and Asian spices. As if that were not enough, its dense fruit comes roaring back after expectoration, lingering on the palate for nearly a minute. This is an extraordinary Clos Vougeot! Projected maturity: 2006-2014. Bravo! to Jacques Lardiere and Pierre-Henri Gagey.”
And this 2006 1re Cru, which was younger and brighter than its older sibling, but still delicious.
The first of the two birds comes off the BBQ, cripsy!
Parker 93, but tasted like a 98, “The classic 1997 Barbaresco Santo Stefano is evolved and flamboyant. A medium ruby/garnet color with an amber edge is followed by a sweet perfume of black cherries, tobacco, leather, spice box, licorice, and tar. Full-bodied, with a creamy texture, superb concentration, and an exquisite finish, it can be drunk now or cellared for 15+ years.”
Here is the full spread. Most of this hard work is by our tireless chefs: my mom and aunt.
Cranberry sauce, the jelly-like kind.
A kale salad with pine nuts, pomegranate seeds, and optional parmesan.
Parker 94, “The 2001 Bocca di Lupo is a wine which demonstrates that the Aglianico grown in the northwestern part of Puglia, just a short distance from the Basilicata, can compete with the best of Italy’s south. Smoky and balsamic on the nose with intense and expansive notes of raspberries and blackberries, cloves, mint, and high-roast coffee, its packed, strappingly muscular, and dense flavors continue in a seamless flow over the palate, softening as they move but still totally mouth-filling and explosively powerful. The only regret is that these wines are released too early and will probably be drunk too early as well – this is a bottle which I would not touch until 2007, and it will still be going strong in 2020.”
A tangy-spicy cranberry chutney.
Parker 90, “The 2003 Chianti Refina Riserva exhibits a similarly sweet, open nose along with plenty of vibrant, super-ripe dark fruit, outstanding length and lovely overall balance in a style that is plump and accessible without sacrificing the wine’s underlying structure. It is made from 90% Sangiovese, with the remaining 10% divided among several other varietals, and aged 24 months in French oak barrels.”
From scratch Challah stuffing.
Thai curried sweet potatoes with a bit of coconut milk.
Bread. In the back in Cranberry Walnut from “Park’s”.
The official 2012 plate, or you can find the last 10 years of them here.
This 20 year Dow Tawny Porto covers dessert.
Homemade (like everything else) rustic pear, cranberry, and ginger tart. My Mom makes these 🙂
And these: The world’s best pecan pie!
And my grandmother’s special brownies and blondies.
This was another spectacular homemade ThanksGavin dinner as usual. It was arguably even better than ever before.